Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Dogwood☆

Today, I will talk about "dogwood". Do you know what is dogwood? You may be surprised at it. Dogwood is ... "Hanamizuki", the tree that bloom white or light pink flowers!!! I can see it at my school, home and so on. I like dogwood very much, so I wanted to know how to say English, and looked up my dictionary. I was so surprised because I can't image dog with that flower. Therefore, I looked through about dogwood.


At first, dogwood isn't Japanese tree. In 1912, mayor of Tokyo prefecture, Yukio Ozaki, sent cherry blossom to America. And then, America gave us dogwood as a recompense. This is origin of dogwood in Japan. Dogwood is so popular in America, but why they call dogwood?


I found one famous theory. Dogwood's bark has effect to get rid of flea that dogs were infested with. However, this is unbelievable because dogwood seems not to be a medicine. And then, the most believable theory is that "dogwood" was called "dagger wood" at first. "Dagger" means general term of weapons. Dogwood is hard, so it was used as material of dagger. And then, people called it "dagwood". Finally it became "dogwood". That means dog and dogwood have no relationship. It is so interesting, isn't it??


Dogwood is birthday flower of April 23. It is today! I could find an interesting story about flower, so I will write reports like this since then.


[241 words]


1 comment:

Rick said...

That's interesting. But it's sad to hear that dogwood has no relation to dogs!