Thursday, May 1, 2008

Dandelion


Today, I searched "dandelion". Do you know it?? It is "tanpopo" in Japanese. Dandelion is yellow flower that bloom in spring. We can see it many times, but I have never thought about it, so I decided to consult for it.


There are some English words that came from French. In 1066, Normandy who is from France conquer England. Therefore French became an official language in England at that time. This is the reason why some English come from French. Do you want to ask me why did I explain about it?? Because dandelion is one of words that came from French!!


It comes from "dents de lion", it means teeth of lion. "Dents" means teeth and pronounces it "dan", and "de" means "of". Dandelion has serrate leaves and they look like teeth of lion, so it was called dandelion.


If you find dandelions on the road, please check their leaves. You can see it like a lion's teeth!!


[160 words]

・Reference

3 comments:

Paul Beaufait said...

Hey mii!

Have you ever had dandelion coffee?

mii said...

Hi, pab.
No, I have not. Would you tell me what it is??

Paul Beaufait said...

A Google search for two words beginning with D and C turned up this how-to piece as the top listing. If you try searching for those same two words, I'm certain you'll find more!