Thursday, May 15, 2008

Carnation!!

Today is May fifteenth!! Do you know today's flower?? It is carnation!! The flower is often given in Mother's day. Why? I searched it, so I will talk about it now.

First, I will explain about origin of carnation. There are two theories. At first, it is from Greece. Carnation's color is like skin, caro in Greece, so it is called carnation. Actually, carnation means "color of skin" in French now. Second, it is come from "coronation", ceremony of accession. This corona is made of flowers and that flower was come to be called " coronation" at that time. However, the word was changed, and now we are called it "carnation".

And then, do you know the reason why people send their mother carnation?It is started by Anna Jyabis who was American. When her mother was dead, she sent her mother carnation, because her mother loves carnations. What is more, she advocated to make Mother's day. She thought people should feel gratitude for mother in a year. She gave away many carnations to many people. It speared more and more, and Japanese also sent carnation to our mother.

The language of flowers is different from color of carnation. Red carnation word is "ardent love", yellow one is "insult", pink one is "adoration", and so on. It is interesting, isn't it??

This is my report what is origin of "carnation". Anne was so good person, I think. I can't express often my gratitude for my mother, but we should do in a year. Did you send carnation to your mother?? If you don't, it is not late! Why don't you send it with your feeling??

[282 ]words

No comments: