Thursday, July 3, 2008

Lovely Tales(BR 1-15)


This time, I read "American Folk Tales". The reason why I chose this book is I was attracted by this book cover. This is funny, isn't it? This book was written by George Gibson. There are three short American tales. I could read easily. I will talk about it!

First tale is "The legend of Jhonny Appleseed". This title is so funny, but I couldn't understand why George Gibson tiled like this at first. However, I noticed soon. Johnny's real name is John Chapman. He planted apple seeds all over America. He loved tales, animals, and their adventure. He liked people, and everyone liked him even animals. He traveled all over America and helped many people. I was moved by his life.

Second story is "Pecos Bill". Pecos Bill was boy's name. He separated from his family in the forest when he was a baby. However he was raised by coyote in the forest. That mean he spoke animal language, ate food like coyote, walk with his arms and feet, and so on. One day, he was found by a cowboy. He told to Bill that Bill was not coyote but human. Bill was so shocked, but he decided to live as a human. The cowboy traveled with Bill and Bill hoped to be cowboy. In the end, he could be a king of cowboy because he can talked with horses and he have courage more than other people. He thanked his coyote family.

Third is "The Tale of Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby". This was a battle of wits between a Rabbit and a Fox. Their exchange was so funny. Rabbit always ticked many animals, so the Fox was annoyed. One day he made his mind to revenge to Rabbit. He made a "Tar Baby", it was a strange doll. He put it on the road, and waited for the Rabbit. Rabbit through the road, he spoke to the doll, but of course, it didn't speak anything. The Rabbit got angry, and attacked it. The doll tangled him, and the Rabbit couldn't move anymore. The Fox was happy because his operation succeeded. However, the Rabbit wanted to ran away, so he told the FOx, "Please don't throw me into the briar patch!" . However, in the fact , he wanted to do it because he could ran away. The Fox thought the behave was terrible for the Rabbit, so he did it! As the resalt, theRabbit won the battle.

This book was made for children I think because the tales funny and maybe many children like them! It makes me heart warming, happy, and pleasant. my favorite is first one. He was alive for the others and he could live full of life. Many people were saved by him, and happy, I thought. Besides, this book has many extra pases. I could learn aobut American life in this book. This book has many pictures, colors, diagrams. I could enjoy reading all of this book. For example, about American food, Settels, Foxs, Cowboys, and so on.

I didn't know about America before reading this books. If you are interested in American history, culture, life and so on, you should read this book. I can recomend this book all of my friends!!
[548 words]

No comments: